About Me

2012-06-24 11.17.00This is what I would like someone to say about me if they were to introduce me before I delivered a presentation! I’d like them to say that “Chip is a mathematics teacher who is still excited to be in the classroom after 30 years of teaching; still  interested in teaching about the intrinsic beauty of mathematics as well as its applications. He taught prealgebra through post-AP courses to both middle and high school students; he is an AP Reader for Calculus, worked in SAT/GRE test development with ETS, worked with ISTE on Project ReimaginED; but, more than all of those, his passion is to create learning environments and authentic learning experiences for his students. The job is never done, however, because he is continually worried that despite all of the possibilities that technology use and philosophical changes bring to the classroom, essentially the game is still the same. While he loves his job and enjoys portraying a Revolutionary War soldier as a hobby, his most important roles are as a husband and father of his two sons.” That would be cool!

I started this blog as a way to keep track of my thoughts and ideas that came from my own learning experiences. My topics will be about teaching, technology, mathematics, learning, and combinations of all of those!
Incidentally, the above logo was designed as part of a classroom lesson in my 8th grade class two years ago. We were learning about corporate logos, and what made them iconic. I gave an assignment to design their own logos, but if they couldn’t think of anything to design it about, they could design one for me, their teacher. This was the winning logo! The dark circle has a ‘chip’ out of it, and the light ‘cent’ symbol was used because of my initials (I usually sign emails to students with two $$, not so formal). I’ve used it ever since, on twitter, facebook, even on t-shirts!

2 thoughts on “About Me

1. G’day Chip,

Great first post and introduction. I found you had left a comment on the teacher challenge blog so decided to visit you and check out your new blog. Keep the students enthused by using technology but also add videos etc to your blog to help them when they might misunderstand or not understood something you have done in class.

Miss W.

2. Thanks! I sent the link to some PLN’ers and got some good feedback. Your post about copyright and fair use was a huge help. I want to use this one for my own thinking about my teaching, and start a different one ‘The Cash Machine’ for my students to join and reference!